Friday, June 8, 2012

Driver v. Passenger Seat

I'm sitting in the in-between weekend.  In-between last weekend's adventure sans Husband and next weekend's bigger adventure with Husband.

Last weekend the children and I packed the van (sans Husband), plugged in the GPS (double-checking and then asking Micaiah to punch in the address again), and arrived at the designated meeting place with two minutes to spare (everyone used those two minutes to readjust and find their happy place/face!).  Not only were we traveling sans Husband, we were also leading a small caravan to a place we had never visited near the Austrian border in the Alps.  Berchtesgaden, Germany.  Absolutely beautiful once the cloud bank lifted!

Hinterbrand Lodge
Our home-away-from-home for the weekend

I must share with you that I much prefer being a passenger (albeit, one with opinions that may not always be beneficial to the overall traveling experience) to being the one in the driver's seat.  In that seat there is a lot of pressure, many decisions, and most often times not enough "rest" areas along the route.  Add to the list -- GPS does not recognize detour signs (and also does NOT translate those written in a different language).

After this past adventure, I really giggle when that bumper-sticker-slogan pops into my mind:  "God is my co-pilot."  I am confident that there needs to be a seat-exchange in that vehicle.  And, I will strive to yield to and support the driver in the next big adventure ... from the comforts of my passenger seat.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Sounds like it went great! I was laughing while reading because I went to St. Louis without David and the girls (first time ever--hard) and was the driver. Simply driving across Missouri had me a bit anxious. David is always the driver, it seems. High Five to you for driving on a whole other continent!!